Miller Center

Presidential Image Gallery

President Gerald Rudolph Ford

August 27, 1974
Source: The Library of Congress

After serving in World War II, Gerald Ford returned home to Grand Rapids, Michigan, to practice law. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1948, a position he held for the next 24 years. In 1973, President Richard Nixon selected Ford as his vice president. Ford held that position until ascending to the presidency himself following Nixon’s resignation in August 1974. 

← Return to Gerald Ford Gallery