Careers at the Miller Center
Click here for student opportunities at the Miller Center.
Position: Executive Assistant to the Director and CEO
The Miller Center at the University of Virginia seeks an EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT for its Director and CEO. The Executive Assistant manages the Director and CEO's travel and meeting schedule, procures appropriate briefing materials for meetings, manages and monitors the flow of information and the status of projects, makes travel arrangements and prepares reimbursement requests, coordinates or prepares drafts of select correspondence, and performs other duties as assigned.
Established in 1975 through a generous gift from entrepreneur and philanthropist Burkett Miller, the Miller Center is a nonpartisan affiliate of the University of Virginia that specializes in presidential scholarship, public policy, and political history. It strives to apply the lessons of history and civil discourse to the nation's most pressing contemporary governance challenges. The Miller Center is a supportive community, grounded in diverse perspectives. It values scholarly excellence, civil discourse, and respectful conduct.
Manage and monitor calendar, workflow, and project status
- Strategically manage constantly evolving travel and meeting schedule for Director and CEO
- Manage constantly evolving action items list for Executive Office
- Manage flow of information and requests into and out of Executive Office
- Manage special projects, as assigned
- Stay abreast of Miller Center calendar and significant dates at the University and on national political calendars
- Support board meetings with necessary communications and materials
Make travel arrangements and prepare reimbursement requests
- Coordinate travel arrangements, including transportation and lodging, for Director and CEO, and others as needed
- Prepare travel and other reimbursements for Director and CEO, maintaining appropriate documentation and following required policies and procedures
- Stay abreast of travel regulations, weather conditions, etc. that affect travel
- Stay abreast of University reimbursement policies and procedures
Perform other duties as required:
- Uphold the values of the Miller Center faculty and staff
- Procure, coordinate, and/or prepare materials for meetings or for drafting memoranda, correspondence, talking points, agendas, and other documents as needed
- Support Executive Office with Miller Center-wide initiatives driven by the Director and CEO, such as all-staff meetings
- Attend staff meetings and events as needed
- Support programming staff as needed, such as helping with event check in
- Bachelor's degree with at least four years of relevant experience or advanced degree with at least one year of relevant experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Prior work experience in an office environment required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with office technologies required.
- High degree of professionalism and ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues with tact and discretion required.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, with prior notice, required.
- Knowledge of history, politics, and/or related fields and knowledge of the University of Virginia and of the Washington, D.C., political and policy community preferred.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings and programs.
This is a restricted position which extends through December 19, 2021. Renewal is possible, subject to performance, availability of funds, and need.
To be considered, applications must be received by September 7, 2019. For questions about the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for R0009919. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit the UVA job board at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group, is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.