Careers at the Miller Center
[Click here for student opportunities at the Miller Center]
Executive Assistant and Senior Advisor to the Director and CEO
The Miller Center seeks an EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT AND SENIOR ADVISOR for its Director and CEO. The person in this position will manage the Director and CEO's travel and meeting schedule; procure and prioritize appropriate briefing materials for meetings; manage, monitor, and help prioritize the flow of information and the status of projects; make travel arrangements and prepare reimbursement requests; coordinate or prepare drafts of select correspondence (as appropriate); and perform other duties as assigned. S/he will
- Be highly motivated, proactive, organized, and detail oriented
- Exercise judicious decision making on all fronts
- Maintain confidentiality
- Exhibit abilities to be flexible, even keeled under pressure, and consistently professional
- Have the ability to make informed substantive recommendations on Miller Center priorities
In addition to the qualifications listed below, prior work experience in an office environment is required, as is demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other routine office technologies. Knowledge of history, politics, and/or related fields and knowledge of the University of Virginia and of the Washington, D.C., community are strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, required
- Ability to handle multiple, competing, and simultaneous priorities effectively, required
- Ability to track and prioritize requests and projects and to meet deadlines, required
- Ability to understand and advise on the management of a research organization, required
- Ability to comprehend Miller Center priorities and stakeholders and help advance initiatives accordingly, required
- Ability to articulate priorities on behalf of the Director and CEO and be able to make connections between activities and responsibilities of Center personnel, required
- Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and orally, with proper grammar and usage, required
- Ability to use appropriate telephone and other communications protocols, required
- Ability to interact appropriately with a range of officials and with an awareness of appropriate protocols, required
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, with prior notice, required
- At least 4 years of experience in an office setting required, preferably in higher education, government, policy institution, media, or closely related organization, preferred
Manage and monitor calendar, workflow and project status
- Strategically manage constantly evolving travel and meeting schedule for Director and CEO.
- Manage constantly evolving action items list for Executive Office
- Manage flow of information and requests into and out of the Director and CEO’s office
- Manage special projects, as assigned
- Stay abreast of Miller Center calendar and significant dates at the University and national political calendars
- Support board meetings with necessary communications and support materials
Make travel arrangements and prepare reimbursement requests
- Coordinate travel arrangements, including transportation and lodging for Director and CEO, and others as needed
- Prepare travel and other reimbursements for Director and CEO, maintaining appropriate documentation and following required procedures
- Stay abreast of travel regulations, weather conditions, etc. that affect travel
- Stay abreast of reimbursement policies of University of Virginia
Comprehend Center priorities on behalf of and advise the Director and CEO
- Participate in leadership meetings of the Center
- Understand and internalize Miller Center priorities and the Director and CEO’s perspective
- Help manage the array of diverse research undertakings, spanning from original research to applied scholarship
- Serve as an ambassador for the Director and CEO and the Center on substantive priorities
- Make recommendations to the Director and CEO, especially on document production, meeting sequencing, staff management, and issue management
Perform other duties as required
- Procure, coordinate, or prepare materials for meetings or drafting memoranda, correspondence, talking points, agendas, and other documents, as needed
- Support the Executive Office with Miller Center-wide initiatives driven by the Director and CEO, such as all staff meetings
- Attend staff meetings and events, as needed
- Support public programming staff, as needed, such as periodic public event check in
Established in 1975 through a generous gift from entrepreneur and philanthropist Burkett Miller, the Miller Center <millercenter.org> is a nonpartisan affiliate of the University of Virginia that specializes in presidential scholarship, public policy, and political history. It strives to apply the lessons of history and civil discourse to the nation's most pressing contemporary governance challenges.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
This is a restricted position which extends through September 26, 2021. Renewal is possible, subject to performance, availability of funds, and need. To be considered, applications must be received by January 15, 2020. For questions about the application process please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter, email@example.com.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for R0012817. Complete an application online and see below for documents to attach.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board (R0012817). Complete an application online and see below for documents to attach.
Attach a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address). Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded or can be combined into one PDF. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.