Careers at the Miller Center
Click here for student opportunities at the Miller Center.
Back-End Web Developer/Administrator
The University of Virginia’s Miller Center seeks a Back-End Web Developer/Administrator to contribute to the ongoing work of its website. This position will join a collaborative team of creative scholars, writers, designers, video producers and technologists who together are imagining and building the next rich-media generation of the Center's website and mobile platform (4 million unique visitors, 11 million page views annually).
This position lasts through June 21, 2020 and is renewable subject to performance, need and the availability of resources.
- Serve as technical expert on back-end web development by
- Developing, maintaining, expanding and updating web databases
- Managing database and web servers and ensuring that the database and web content are backed up in a consistent manner
- Maintaining, expanding, updating and assisting in the automation of existing websites using web programming languages and graphics software
- Analyzing website patterns
- Ensuring web search functionality is optimal
- Developing moderate to complex custom code and maintaining APIs to integrate applications to web platforms
- Assist with maintenance/support of technology infrastructure
- Assist with website management, faculty support and relevant research by
- Supporting the teaching and research functions of faculty through the use of technologies and maintaining knowledge of current technological tools to enhance scholarly work
- Investigating new technologies that can enhance the faculty's work
- Provide server support on an as-needed basis in coordination with Systems Administrator
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent Experience required
- At least one year steady experience in back-end web development required, four or more years preferred
- Experience developing, theming, and maintaining a Drupal web site preferred
- Knowledge of and competence working with Solr, Ruby on Rails and Blacklight preferred
- Ability to administer Linux-based database servers and Linux/Apache-based web servers required
- Ability to design and administer databases required
- Ability to design and develop web sites required
- Ability to provide routine server support required
- Ability to communicate effectively, especially regarding technical information, required
- Ability to work well independently and in a team-oriented environment required
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices required
- Ability to exercise appropriate judgment in addressing technical and related issues and to recognize when guidance from supervisor is needed required
- Experience working with Cloud Development preferred
- Experience working with faculty in higher education setting preferred
- Demonstrated evidence of respectful and effective engagement with differences (intellectual, social, cultural, etc.) in ways that increase awareness, knowledge and understanding preferred
Established in 1975 through a generous gift from entrepreneur and philanthropist Burkett Miller, the Miller Center is a nonpartisan affiliate of the University of Virginia that specializes in presidential scholarship, public policy and political history. It strives to apply the lessons of history to the nation's most pressing contemporary governance challenges.
To apply, go to https://jobs.virginia.edu, search for posting # 0623350, create an application, and attach a CV/resume, cover letter, and full contact information for three professional references.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.