The Holton Society
The Miller Center’s Governing Council and Foundation Board, at their joint meeting in April 2014, resolved to create the Holton Society as a way to recognize longstanding friends and supporters who have dedicated their time, talent, and treasure to support the work of the Center. The Society is named in honor of Governor Linwood Holton, chairman emeritus of the Center’s Governing Council. During his tenure as governor of Virginia, Governor Holton personally orchestrated negotiations between Burkett Miller and the University of Virginia that resulted in the Center’s creation as an independently governed affiliate of the University. Governor Holton chaired the Center’s Governing Council from 1977 to 1999 and remains a lifetime member of the Council.
The creation of the Holton Society is a tribute to him, but also honors former Council members and dedicated friends, whose interest and expertise have sustained the Miller Center over the course of its history.
Linwood Holton Jr.
A. Linwood Holton, Jr. was governor of Virginia from 1970 to 1974. He is now a member of the government relations team for the Richmond, Virginia-based law firm of McCandlish Holton PC. Governor Holton has served previously as president of the Center for Innovative Technology, vice president and general counsel of the American Council of Life Insurance, and as a member of Amtrak's board of directors. He is also a former chair of the Metropolitan Washington Airport and the Republican Governors Association. He is chairman emeritus of the Miller Center Governing Council.
Mortimer Caplin, a UVA School of Law professor emeritus, was also a senior partner of Caplin & Drysdale, one of the nation's leading tax firms. He taught tax law at UVA from 1950 to 1961, while serving concurrently as president of the Atlantic Coast Conference. He was the commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service from 1961 to 1964, and on his departure, the Treasury Department presented him with its Alexander Hamilton Award for "outstanding and unusual leadership." Caplin graduated from UVA’s College of Arts & Sciences in 1937 and the School of Law in 1940, where he was editor-in-chief of the Virginia Law Review and the top student in his class.
Daniel K. Frierson
Daniel K. Frierson is the president and chief executive officer of the Dixie Group, an international manufacturer of carpets based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Frierson also serves as a director of Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, a building materials supplier, and Astec Industries, Inc., an equipment manufacturer for aggregate processing, asphalt road building, and pipeline and utility trenching.
John W. Galbraith
John W. Galbraith is the retired vice-chairman (1986-91) of Templeton, Galbraith and Hansberger, Ltd., an investment firm that in 1992 merged with Franklin Resources to form the Franklin Templeton Group (now known as Franklin Templeton Investments). He served on the Miller Center’s Governing Council and Foundation Board from 2002 to 2007. Galbraith is a former chairman of the Florida International Museum and a former trustee of Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida. He and his wife Rosemary were honored for their philanthropy in 2008 when the Miller Center’s Forum Room was named in their honor.
Andrew D. Hart Jr.
Andrew D. (A.D.) Hart, Jr. was a member of the Miller Center Foundation Board and the Miller Center Governing Council from 2002 until 2012. He was a founding partner and advisory director of Russell Reynolds, a global recruiting firm, from which he retired in 1998. Hart also held management positions with Westvaco Corporation and Federal Paper Board Company.
Leigh B. Middleditch Jr.
Leigh B. Middleditch, Jr. is of counsel in the Charlottesville office of law firm McGuireWoods LLP and vice president of McGuireWoods Consulting LLC. Middleditch, a graduate of the University of Virginia and its School of Law, has served on the University's Board of Visitors and as legal advisor and special counsel to the University. He is also active in the American Bar Association, serving previously as chair of the exempt organizations committee of the tax section, chair of the senior lawyers division, and as a member of its board of governors. He is past chair of the Miller Center Foundation Board. The Center recognized Middleditch for his philanthropy and dedication in 2011, when it named the hall outside the Center's library in his honor.
Edgar J. Roberts Jr.
Edgar J. Roberts, Jr. is a retired international business executive whose professional life focused on capital market intermediaries, with particular emphasis on international credit and financial markets. He held senior positions in a commercial bank, Marine Midland; two investment banks, First Boston and Lehman Brothers Kuhn Loeb; two development banks, the Asian Development Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank; and one of the two major bond rating agencies, Moody's Investors Service. Roberts graduated from Bucknell University and Duke University's School of Law.
Elizabeth Scott was a member of the Miller Center’s Governing Council from 1988 to 1996. She was a member of the Sweet Briar College Board, president of the Albemarle Garden Club, and vice president of the Garden Club of Virginia. She was also president of the UVA Hospital Auxiliary and a member of the University Development Council. In 2003, in recognition of her longtime support, the Miller Center dedicated its north terrace garden to Scott and honored her as the first recipient of the Elizabeth Scott Award for Exemplary Leadership, which is awarded annually. She was also a recipient of the Center’s Burkett Miller Presidential Award.
Anne R. Worrell
Anne R. Worrell was a former newspaper executive and noted community leader with a strong interest in historic preservation. She and her late husband, Gene, formerly owned Bristol Newspapers, Inc.; Worrell Investment Company; and the Worrell Land and Cattle Company. The two also established the Genan Foundation in 1986, and Worrell served as its president. She was also the director of Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest Foundation and the honorary vice chairman of the Virginia Historical Society. The Center recognized Worrell's philanthropic commitment and dedication by naming the building's anteroom in her honor in 2009.